If you feel that you need to take the first step towards a divorce then it almost goes without saying that you need to choose the right Matrimonial Solicitor to help you. Here are a few things to think about before you pick up that phone:
- Would you prefer to speak to a male or female Solicitor? This is purely a personal choice and you may have particular reasons for choosing one or the other.
- Is there someone who has been personally recommended to you and do they sound like someone you would be happy to deal with?
- Would you like to see someone who is based locally to your home or workplace or would you prefer to go somewhere away from both?
- Have you done some basic research on Solicitors firms by looking at websites or ringing them to get a feel for what they are like? Often this will sift out those firms that just don't feel right for you.
- Would you prefer to see a solicitor who is a member of Resolution and will commit to a less confrontational approach? If this appeals then it could ultimately help your divorce go more smoothly, save you money and help you keep more of your assets and sanity!
- Do they offer a reduced fee initial appointment and how long does the first appointment last?
And once you have taken that first step and been to see a Solicitor how do you know they are right for you? Do you feel confident that they have the right knowledge, expertise and experience? Do you feel that they understand your situation and will put your interests first? And will they tell you the truth even if it is not something you wish to hear?
I hope this helps in some small way towards finding the right Solicitor for you.