If you are thinking of separating from your partner then here are some questions to consider before you take the first step:
- Do you really want to separate or should you try counselling first?
- Which of you will have the Children and when will they see the other person?
- Will you stay in the matrimonial home and if not where will you live?
- How you will pay your outgoings? Can you survive on your own income or will you need maintenance?
- What capital do you have and how should it be shared?
- Do you have any debts and if so who should pay them?
- What provision is in place for your retirement and should you be asking for some of your partner's pension?
- Do you want to keep any of the contents of the house and if so should you agree a list with your partner?
- Would it be sensible to try to agree things with your partner before you separate?
- At what stage should you seek legal advice to see what your rights are and what the next steps will be?
I know that there are many more things that you need to consider before separating but if you only look at these few questions it will help to make it easier to take those first difficult steps.